Creating Procedural Environments in Gaea & Houdini
Icy Cliffs & Rocky Terrain With Rasha Shalaby
Gaea Overview & Fast Terrain Sketch
The procedural nature of Gaea by Quadspinner empowers 3D artists and matte painters to craft impressive and realistic environments with its powerful tools. Incorporating Gaea into a Houdini workflow, Rasha Shalaby — an Environment Artist and Matte Painter with over 20 years of experience in VFX for film, TV, and game cinematics — uncovers how to create terrain assets such as icy cliffs and rocky terrains that are usually harder to achieve through height-field simulations alone.
In this 3.5-hour workshop, Rasha demonstrates how to create geometry using various erosion and warp techniques in Gaea, as well as how to pull data to help create textures and data maps for assets. She shares how to export textures and maps into Houdini for the lookdev and lighting stage, and reveals how to establish the look, lighting setup, and cameras for the environment in Houdini. The renders are set up in Arnold for the ultimate final look.
Rasha offers a quick tour through some of Houdini’s top tools for creating complex, layered surfaces — with a focus on those that help to maintain the rocky look of cliffs. An overview of how to create a 360-degree panorama of the environment is also included, showing how Rasha brings in her renders of the horizon and, with some painting, masking, and adjustments in Photoshop, is able to use the resulting image to later light the scene for the final render.
This workshop is packed with Rasha’s tips and tricks learned from more than 20 years working in the industry. Included for subscribers is a collection of helpful project files, including the meshes, textures files, and the Houdini project used in the workshop.
Duration: 207 Minutes
Format: HD 1920x1080
- 00. Preview
- 01. Gaea Overview & Fast Terrain Sketch
- 02. Speed Terrain Creation in 10 Nodes or Less
- 03. Initial Hero Mountain Build in Gaea
- 04. Texturing Initial Mountain & Rock Face in Gaea
- 05. Environment Setup in Houdini
- 06. Enhance Terrain Complexity in Gaea
- 07. Environment Look Dev & Lighting
- 08. Creating Outer-Edge Environment
- 09. Lighting & Rendering Horizon Environment in Houdini
- 10. Combining the Environment with HDRI Pano in Photoshop
- 11. Final Renders including Environment Fog & Atmosphere