Creating a Monolithic City in Unreal Engine 5
An Environment Generalist Workflow with Jianfeng Li (Allan)
Explore the complete workflow for creating a cinematic environment in this comprehensive workshop by Senior Environment Generalist Jianfeng Li (Allan). This in-depth tutorial details everything from gathering references and crafting concept sketches to bringing to life a grand-scale environment in Unreal Engine.
This workshop is tailored for intermediate-to-advanced artists with a basic understanding of various tools such as Maya, Houdini, Gaea, SpeedTree, Substance Painter, ZBrush, Unreal Engine, Photoshop, and Nuke. While the tutorial aims to provide a complete overview of asset creation and environment finishing, some details won't be shown step by step; therefore, having a foundational grasp of the tools used in the workshop is recommended.
Throughout the workshop, you'll acquire invaluable insights into the art of CG environment creation through asset making, scene assembling, basic matte-painting techniques, and compositing your final cinematic animation.
A highlight of this workshop is the introduction of insights and approaches as a VFX artist, which Allan skillfully incorporates into his process of creating cinematic animations within the game engine. By completing the workshop, you'll be equipped to craft more immersive and photorealistic environments in Unreal Engine, setting you up for success in future projects.
Duration: 564 Minutes
Format: HD 1920x1080
- 00. Preview
- 01. Introduction of Workflow, References & Concept Creation
- 02. Blocking Out with Maya & Assets Breakdown
- 03. Making Terrain Base Model with Houdini
- 04. Adding Details to Terrain Assets with Gaea
- 05. Finalizing Terrain Models with Houdini
- 06. Creating Vegetation with SpeedTree
- 07. Hard Surface Modeling with Maya
- 08. Modeling Ground Entrance with Maya & Houdini
- 09. Vehicle Sculpting & Assets Publishing
- 10. UE Project Setup & Basic Material Setup for Vegetation
- 11. Procedural Lookdev for Terrain Assets — Part 1
- 12. Procedural Lookdev for Terrain Assets — Part 2
- 13. Texturing Architecture Assets with Substance Painter
- 14. Procedural Texture Setup for Other Props
- 15. Rebuilding Layout in Unreal Engine
- 16. Vegetation Set Dressing & Introduction of PCG Tool
- 17. Importing Animated Characters & Render Setup
- 18. Matte Painting & Compositing in Nuke — Part 1
- 19. Matte Painting & Compositing in Nuke — Part 2