with David Lesperance
This lecture will provide an in-depth look at the workflow David Lesperance uses to design environments. Starting off, he will cover basic concepts of asset building including kit bashing, grid space modeling, basic UVs and asset cleanliness. Normal and displacement mapping will also be covered. Dave will then move into his lighting setups using V-Ray. He will discuss lighting and rendering in V-Ray, covering HDRI and physical camera setups, along with efficient render settings. Throughout the class David will be sharing many time-saving tips and tricks that he uses in his day-to-day workflow for 3ds Max, ZBrush and Photoshop.
- Rock Sculpting in ZBrush with Dynamesh
- Vine Creation using ZSpheres
- Mesh Cleanup Process
- Map Extraction using xNormal
- Architectural Detail Sculpting
- Asset Creation and Replication
- Instancing for Vegetation and Landscapes
- Rendering and Compositing in Photoshop for Presentation
- Rock and Stone Sculpting Techniques
- Rock and Stone Map Generation
- Architectural Detail Construction
- Architectural Detail Sculpting – part 1
- Architectural Detail Sculpting – part 2
- Architectural Detail Rendering for Presentation
- Final Scene Breakdown and Asset Creation
- Landscape and Vegetation Creation
- Landscape Rendering and Compositing Techniques
- Product Code: DLS01
- ISBN: 1-59762-762-3
- UPC: 805366018016
- Duration: 171 minutes
- Formats: DVD-ROM
- All Regions
Digital Download Requirements:
Minimum Operating System:
- Microsoft® Windows® Vista®
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Apple® Mac® OS X 10.2
- QuickTime Movie Player (Version 7.0 or higher)
- Acrobat Reader (Version 5.0 or higher)
For more information on DVD and Digital Download policies click here.
David Lesperance is an environment artist who has worked in the CG entertainment field for almost eight years. He has a degree in Fine Arts and is active in the CG community. David is currently working with Microsoft and the 343 industry team on Halo 4. David's game experience includes work on Mortal Kombat DC, Tony Hawk Ride and StarCraft 2. His experience also includes work with Blizzard Entertainment's cinematic division, on such titles as Diablo 3, WoW Cataclysm, and the StarCraft projects.
"David Lesperance is one of the most prolific 3D environment artists I've ever met. It's fascinating to see how he, being so detail-oriented, manages to produce huge amount of work in zero time. Besides that, David is famous for his technical approach for 3d art and his constant search for more efficient ways of doing things. I won't be surprised if I come across a DVD tutorial from him called "How to crank-out a super-detailed environment set in one day"
- Vitaly Bulgarov
Cinematic Artist, Blizzard Entertainment
"In my experience of almost 10 years in this industry, I don't think I've met anyone with more passion to grow as an artist, become better, and find smarter and faster ways of working than David Lesperance. He is an exceptional artist and encourages those he works with to be exceptional as well."