Introduction to ZBrush 4
with Scott Spencer
Over the last decade, ZBrush has become the industry standard application for digital sculpting and has been used in nearly every blockbuster film and video game produced during that time. Introduction to ZBrush 4 with Scott Spencer provides the most comprehensive set of instructional videos ever created for ZBrush users, covering everything from the absolute basics, to more advanced sculpting and detailing topics. With nearly 14 hours of instructional video, Scott is able to provide a detailed understanding of each tool and process from a practical approach. He also demonstrates his sculpting workflow and speaks about specific production issues that arise in production pipelines. The lessons start with a brief overview of the UI for the beginning learner, along with a few "Quickstart" lessons on sculpting. Scott then moves into the individual feature sets, including all of the new features and plugins for ZBrush 4, while showing how many of the features and tools work together. Lessons on working with ZBrush in conjunction with other 3D applications, in this case Maya, is also covered in many chapters of this DVD. Instructor for this title: Scott Spencer
- User interface and customizing the UI
- ZBrush sculpting tools, brushes and alphas
- Hard surface sculpting tools and techniques
- The importance polygrouping and visibility
- ZSpheres and ZSketch
- Transpose for posing and as a measuring tool
- Topology tools and mesh extraction
- UVs in ZBrush
- Materials and Rendering in ZBrush
- New Features – Layers, Timeline, HD Sculpting and Painting, Shadow Box, Spotlight
- Plugins – GoZ, Decimation Master, UV Master, Subtool Master, Multi Map Exporter
- Introduction to the ZBrush UI
- Customizing the UI and Hotkeys
- Sculpting "Quickstart"
- Sculpting Techniques - Part 1
- Sculpting Techniques - Part 2
- Sculpting Techniques - Part 3
- Custom Alphas
- Hard Surface Brushes - "Clip"
- Hard Surface Brushes - "Planar"
- Hard Surface Brushes - "Trim and Polish"
- HD Sculpting
- Subtool Master
- Mesh Extraction and Shadow Box
- Topology Tools and Mesh Extraction
- Polygroups and Visibility
- Decimation Master
- Transpose - Part 1
- Transpose - Part 2
- Transpose - Part 3
- UV Basics
- UV Master
- Basic Go Z
- Displacement and Normal Maps with Go Z
- Polypaint and HD Paint
- Displacement and Normal Maps using Multi Map Exporter
- Bump Viewer Material
- ZBrush Materials 01 - "Standard Materials"
- ZBrush Materials 02 - "MatCap Materials"
- ZBrush Materials 03 - "Lighting, Rendering and BPR"
- ZBrush Materials 04 - "Sub-Surface Scattering Material"
- Product Code: SSP03
- ISBN: 1-59762-770-4
- UPC: 805366017941
- Duration: 882 minutes
- Formats: DVD-ROM, Digital Download
- 1GHz or faster processor
- 512 MB RAM
- 64 MB Video RAM
- DVD-ROM Drive
- 5 GB of hard disk space
- 1280 x 1024 display
DVD-ROM and Digital Download Requirements:
Minimum Operating System:
- Microsoft® Windows® Vista®
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Apple® Mac® OS X 10.2
- QuickTime Movie Player (Version 7.0 or higher)
- Acrobat Reader (Version 5.0 or higher)
For more information on DVD and Digital Download policies click here here.
Scott Spencer has worked extensively with ZBrush for visual effects, toys and collectible design and digital maquettes. He's worked with Pixologic, Gentle Giant Studios, Pendulum Studios for Activision, and is currently working on The Hobbit at Weta Workshop as a designer. Recent credits include The DaVinci Code, Harry Potter V, X-Men III and various commercial projects. Scott has taught classes at Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood, produced numerous video tutorials and manuals for the ZBrush community, and is the author of the highly-regarded ZBrush Character Creation: Advanced Digital Sculpting and ZBrush Digital Sculpting: Human Anatomy. Scott graduated from Savannah College of Art and Design and studied classical figurative sculpture at the Florence Academy of Art in Italy.
"Scott Spencer exemplifies mastery - he is a rare combination of primitive impulses and complex skills. "I admire Scott Spencer. He makes monsters that only a child could imagine but only a grownup could create."
- Marshall Vandruff
"Scott always amazes me with the depth of his knowledge, whether it's the inner workings of the software or his understanding and application of artistic theory, he sees the necessity of both. I guess you could say he knows too much..."
- Scott Patton
"Scott Spencer established himself early on as one of the original ZBrush masters. In this DVD he combine his in-depth knowledge of this amazing digital sculpting software with his extensive experience and talent as a traditional sculptor. The result is one of the best series Gnomon has produced so far. I'm personally very excited to dive in and learn from one of my favorite ZBrush artists."
- Eric Keller
artist and author of "Introducing ZBrush"
"Scott has an in depth knowledge of not just software tricks and technical know how, but of the other side of the world as well, traditional sculpture and careful study of the human form. What is more, he actually enjoys sharing this hard earned knowledge with eager students and the occasional innocent bystander on the street. Tho random soccer mom's and business men may be scared of his rantings about 'zbrush' or the 'zygomatic arch', you, dear viewer, are in for a treat."